"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Sunday, January 27, 2008

At Week's End

I'm currently propped up in bed, laptop in tow, trying to enjoy a reprieve from the bathroom. Whether I contracted food poisoning from a restaurant I will NEVER go to again, or the stomach flu, I'm not sure, but yesterday was not a fun day. I'm pretty sure I haven't thrown up since my school days--until yesterday. Not fun. So far, the rest of my family has been spared, which makes me lean toward the stomach flu diagnosis. According to the WebMD, they could come down with it any time in the next ten days. Yuck. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, especially my babies.

So, my week didn't exactly end as I would have hoped, but up until then, we did great. My experiment with setting weekly goals went very well. It was nice to have that list to keep me focused on certain things. I only went off on a tangent a couple of times, but I did okay. I didn't complete my whole list, which mainly consisted of certain things I wanted to do everyday. That was tough. I either did them everyday, or didn't do them even once. The treadmill is still sitting there--waiting. I'm going to try to set these goals each week during my planning time.

For school this week, we enjoyed having the sister in on things again. As we continue to adjust, it just becomes more fun. I have no doubt that us all doing school together is the way it's supposed to be; just wonderful! We rowed (FIAR) "A Pair of Red Clogs" which is a great book to teach about lying and deceit. It also teaches about remorse and stewardship. The "Five in a Row" author did a great job choosing life-lesson books! Daughter made more lap-pages for her notebook and informed me she needs a bigger notebook. I guess that 1/2 inch ring wasn't going to last too long! Brother needs a new notebook as well, only his is a 3" very stuffed binder. Volume II?

We managed to do all our subjects on their assigned days this week, which was one of my goals. It has been easy to drop one here and there. The husband was gone this week, so we had a bit more freedom to take our time and eat on a different schedule.

For Bible this week, we studied Rahab (JBC year 3, theme 2, week 7). What a wonderful way to study and understand that faith without works is dead. We seem to continually come back to the fact that a real relationship (with the Lord) involves more than just receiving and resting. It's the whole decision of whether you believe that obedience equals a loving relationship or whether a loving relationship equals obedience! Everything we have learned this year has come back to that statement. And our answer is that a loving relationship will always equal obedience. I guess that is our principle for the year.
While I was googling Rahab for lesson enhancements, I came across this blog. I was very excited to see a familiar face: Jules, from what used to be Everyday Mommy. You know, the source of "Moms for Modesty" (see sidebar).


Our tabernacle model finally came. A few weeks late, but we still had fun putting it together. We love our Rose's Book of Charts, so the Rose's Tabernacle Model was a perfect compliment. If you order this, just a few tips. Go for the laminated version, and don't try to use glue on it. Too messy on laminate. Tape all the way. Son really enjoyed this hands on "picture" of the tabernacle. I'm thinking he's not likely to forget our Tabernacle studies anytime soon, which is the whole idea, right?

For history this week we began studying the pioneers. We are truly in the Westward Expansion link on our Chain of Christianity/PIPEline/Timeline now. We'll probably be on this topic for awhile, getting more specific and looking at certain people and events. This is kind of a tough topic for me because it could involve a lot of hands on activities which I am so NOT good at. They cause anxiety, panic. I'm not sure why. I've bought a few little craft kits, so I'm going to attempt to deep-breath my way through them. We're really trying not to race through this year's Truthquest Guide (AHYSII), like we did last year. I want us to enjoy it a bit more and have more to show for it.

One thing that is truly a no-brainer was getting the Frontier Fighters CD from Homeschool Radio Shows. Son has it memorized--literally. He has always loved audio programs; this one is no different! I'm always looking for more of these.

Well, those are the highlights. Next week may get off to a rocky start if I don't get to feeling better soon. We also have some big events coming up soon, too. I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

Renae said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon. We are still sick, but at least no one is throwing up.

Thanks for the reminder about the radio shows. We could use some new pain-numbing entertainment, and stories that capture the imagination are the best.

Now, get well! I'll be praying for you.

Peace to you,
Renae
http://reflective.homeschooljournal.net/

EEEEMommy said...

These posts are what made me love and admire you in the beginning and I'm glad you're posting them again. :) They're full of ideas, encouragement, and inspiration!