"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, March 24, 2008

A.D.: Memorizing Scripture


Yesterday we just about finished watching A.D. that we rented from ChristianCinema.com. It is such a good mini-series. I remember watching it when I was early in my teens, and wanting to see it again. They never aired it again and over the years, I always wondered why. Now I know! It's full of scripture and Biblical accounts!

We loved it when Paul met Luke, because we are particular fans of the book of Luke since listening to (and practically memorizing!) "The Luke Reports" (now called "The Life of Jesus"). I guess even fiction can propel you into God's word!

In A.D. I particularly loved one scene where Paul is teaching a crowded room and he recites I Corinthians 13. I don't know who the actor was, but it was a fabulous speaking of fabulous scripture! I was giddy with excitement and tears imagining Paul actually speaking those words of God. I decided right then and there that I Corinthians 13 will be our passage to memorize as a family when we go on our trip! I can't wait. AND since everyone else was as enthralled with the movie (uhh, I mean the "God's words" part, of course!) as I was, they can't ask me WHY we're memorizing it!

May we put them to practice always!

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love,
I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge,

and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love,
I am nothing.
If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,
but have not love,
I gain nothing.
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast;
it is not arrogant or rude.
It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.

Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Love never ends.

As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease;

as for knowledge, it will pass away.

For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes,

the partial will pass away.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.

When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.

Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three;
but the greatest of these is love.

(1Co 13:1-13 ESV)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm going to have to find that mini-series. It sounds wonderful!

I haven't been able to comment much lately...hopefully that is going to get better now!...but I enjoy reading your blog so much! After reading your blog party "introduction" post, I feel like we are kindred spirits. :) I love books (especially old ones!), hymns, being creative (and wish I had more time), and we are working toward a more natural approach to health, nutrition, and other aspects of life (v-e-r-y slowly, though!) Oh...and my husband calls me a *nerd* when he sees me working on my blog! (In an endearing sort of way, of course. ;-))

Hope you all have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,
I am intrigued by how much scripture you and your family purpose to memorize. Have you ever posted on "how" you have chosen to accomplish this. What I mean is, "how" do you teach your children, your son especially, to memorize. Do you just have them read the verse over and over each day? Do you break it up into chunks? How often do you review? I am just curious. This is something I have felt compelled to do in our home but am a little stuck on how to begin. I would love it if you would post about this if you have the time or feel led to do so. Have a great day. Beth

EEEEMommy said...

Great selection!

Daisy said...

Great idea to memorize Scripture on your road trip. We are heading out on a 12 hour car trip next week and have Pilgrim's Progess on audio to take with us. Hmm, now I have to think of a passage to memorize. Thanks!

BTW, not too long ago I did a personalized version of 1Cor 13. It is pretty eye-opening when you take it and apply directly to life.
http://daisy-lesserroadacademy.blogspot.com/2008/03/daisys-1-corinthians-13.html