"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Saturday, March 01, 2008

Looking Forward

As I watched my children tromping about the yard yesterday, through a window beaming with fingerprints and sunbeams, I realized that--yes! indeed--spring is coming. This began a natural pondering of all kinds of things popping into my head--things I'm looking forward to.

Things like not wearing socks. My feet ache from socks! They feel puffy and dry and they crave a nice pair of flip flops. Those little sock creases feel like they are cutting off the circulation to my brain. Their end is coming!

I'm looking forward to soft butter. No longer will I have to scrape the stick (a nasty habit my husband got me in to). It will be a hardy, usable room temperature.

Flowing honey. Not crystallized and hardened with the cold ache of winter. Real flowing honey that drips and pours and measures without an hour hot bath in the sink.

Air. Real air pouring in every window and door, airing away the staleness of months spent trapped in a barren winter-ness.

Spring flowers. Last year was my first time ever to plant any spring bulb--miniature daffodils--and lo-and-behold! yesterday I saw their green tips pushing through to sunshine.

Oh! And sunshine. Where oh where has all the sunshine been? I've missed it. I've longed for it. My skin aches for it. My children crave it's beckoning.

Long days. Long days that allow for more completion. Days that start with daylight, rather than darkness. Days that end in warmth, rather than cold. Days without coats.

Gardening. One of my great hopes and joys. So much to look forward to. I yearn to pluck something from my own yard to feed my family. I long to see the beauty of growing things all around me.

The urge to go. I'd lost a lot of my urge to go anywhere. It's only recently that I've realized how much the cold has kept me home. Though I enjoy being home more than anywhere--after all, there's no place like it--I also enjoy a good road trip; a good visit with good friends; a nice trip to the ice cream parlor.

There's so much more...

The companionship of books in sunlight.
The feel of heat that warms the bones.
The smell of a good park.
The taste of sun-tea.
The joy of finding something that was lost for a time...a season (or three!).
The incredible, delicious sound of children screaming and laughing and running and playing, and joyfully going about the business of being outside.

I can't wait. God really does have mercy on us. He truly shows us new seasons, with new purpose. He puts away the cold and worn, and brings forth a new day.

It's all good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen Sister, so beautifully written! Your descriptions made me almost actually feel the warmth on my face! I really love the change of seasons, it makes you appreciate each one of them in their own way.

Enjoy your sunshiney thoughts,

Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Joni said...

Nothing thrills me more than seeing tiny tips of daffodils, hyacinths, and tulips peeking out from the cold hard ground!

EEEEMommy said...

Did you get to play outside yesterday? What a gorgeous day! And I did see some tips peeking out of the soil. :) And now it's cold and gloomy again.

I really enjoyed this post. I tried to post a comment after you first wrote it, but it didn't go through, and I was too tired to try again. All that poetry is rubbing off on your blog! :)