"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spring in Indiana: James Whitcomb Riley

If you ever wandered what spring is like in Indiana, then reading "The First Bluebird", by James Whitcomb Riley will nail it on the head for you! The Hoosier Poet knew the place that he wrote about, as every good poet should. Riley is our current Poem-A-Day poet and we are thoroughly enjoying his style and subject matter. It's as if he wrote these poems just for us! I can almost hear my own Grandfather's voice in the Indiana vernacular of old.


The First Bluebird
by James Whitcomb Riley

Jest rain and snow! and rain again!
And dribble! drip! and blow!
Then snow! and thaw! and slush! and then
Some more rain and snow!

This morning I was'most afeard
To wake upwhen, I jing!
I seen the sun shine out and heerd
The first bluebird of Spring!

Mother she'd raised the winder some;
And in acrost the orchurd come,
Soft as a angel's wing,
A breezy, treesy, beesy hum,
Too sweet fer anything!

The winter's shroud was rent a-part
The sun bust forth in glee,
And when that bluebird sung, my hart
Hopped out o' bed with me!

4 comments:

Dana said...

Did you know that Greenfield, IN has a James Whitcomb Riley festival every year. His birthplace and/or home is also there and you can "field trip" it just about any time. Might make for a nice day out.

Dana

Melissa said...

Well, I'm just too close here in KY to not totally relate to that wonderful poem! I'll have to check out some more of his poetry. Have a wonderful, and hopefully spring-like, week.

Blessings, Melissa
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

EEEEMommy said...

Great poem! I'm really not very familiar with his work, and still haven't visited the museum, although I have been to the festival Dana mentioned.

Did you get my e-mail about the Poetry Recital?

Anonymous said...

Being an Indiana girl I have always loved James Whitcomb Riley! I've posted a few of his poems over the years. I am also a bluebird lover so I am surprised that I haven't heard this poem before!! It will be going up on my blog soon (sorry for being a copy cat! :) I am almost a retired homeschool mom, in about two months. Busy busy times! Your blog is really nice.