"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Changing the Times















Easter is on the calendar for March 23 while Passover is not actually until April 20th.

I always thought Easter was supposed to be
the celebration of Passover!
Not just a Jewish Passover, but the passover which allows those who have put their trust in Christ Jesus to recognize Him as the blood covering for their sins--the perfect sacrifice; the atonement. I thought that it was about when the Holy Spirit passed over those whom had marked their door posts with blood, and He saw only the covering, which protected that household (whether there were Jews or Egyptians within).

I know why they (the Council of Nicea: see my previous post) established a separate date, and why they call it Easter, but were they right? I'm pretty sure that having "nothing in common with the detestable Jewish crowd" is not a good reason to change what God has told us to remember.

God told us through the prophet Daniel that men (because of Satan) would change the times.

He will speak words against the Most High.
He will harass the holy ones of the Most High continually.
His intention will be to change times established by law.
They will be delivered into his hand
For a time, times, and half a time.
(Dan 7:25 NET)
So the question I'm dealing with is...

Is it acceptable to change the date of something
that is so important, it is one of the few things that
God instructed us to remember?
Easter or Passover? March 23rd or April 20th?

3 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

As a note of clarification, there is a difference between Passover & "Easter" i.e. Resurrection Day. Passover is really more closely celebrated by the Lord's Supper/Communion which is to be a regular sacrament. Passover is about the death of Christ (traditionally celebrated on Good Friday--although, I don't think he actually died on a Friday) Easter has traditionally been the celebration of the Resurrection.

That being said, my family has incorporated the celebration of Passover into our Easter celebration since I was a little girl. That worked out nicely, but we weren't ever purists celebrating on the correct date for Passover. Sometimes they coincide, other times, like this year, they're a month apart. This isn't the first year that I've wrestled over this issue. The last time they were this far apart, we did both: Celebrated Christ's Resurrection with the rest of the world on Easter Sunday and then celebrated Passover a month later.

I know all about the "pagan originations" but in all honesty, the Easter Sunday service is one of my most favorite of the entire year. I love the hymns, I love the celebratory aspect, I love reveling in His power over death and focusing on His Resurrection. With a heart so full of worship, I have a hard time accepting that my actions in celebrating His Resurrection no matter what the date on the calendar could in any way grieve the heart of God. Really, every Sunday could be such a celebration!
But that's me...

Melissa said...

Thank you for clarifying, Angel. Of course, Easter has always been about the Resurrection. I often assume them to be one story, so don't always refer to them separately. To my layman mind, it is because of His death and resurrection that we are "passed over". Some consider the sacrifice separate from the conquering of death, but Jesus' sacrifice would not have been ultimate, or the final necessary sacrifice, w/o His resurrection.

I think God would have us worship every day; remembering without ceasing. But there was an appointed time--by God--and that seems to have been changed. That's what I find interesting and confusing. How can mere man guess at what God might prefer?

Only through knowledge of His word and through the wisdom of the Holy Spirit can we begin to even ask.

Dana said...

We aren't celebrating Easter in the traditional sense: no baskets, bunnies, etc. I may put the girls in a Spring dress if it's warm enough, but no new Easter dresses either.

We're gradually going back to celebrating the Jewish Holy Days and skipping (as much as we can) the holidays as we knew them.

Our big problem right now is what to do about the whole Christmas season.

Blessings--
Dana