"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Winter Reading Challenge Ends


My first ever reading challenge is about to come to an end so I thought I would go ahead and post my results. If you pay much attention to sidebars, you will have noticed our book lists growing! Though I didn't get everything on my list read, I did read some doozies and I even learned a few things!

I'll start at the top of my list. I did finish "King's Arrow", by Douglas Bond, but had to return "Rebel's Keep" to the library before I even got to start it. Imagine that! Hot title or something! Well, it's a great series, and though written for younger readers, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was great, too, to read books that I can recommend completely to my son.

"Seventh Day" never arrived at the library, so that'll have to wait a while. "Song of Redemption", by Lynn Austin, was really good. I've enjoyed her series on King Hezekiah. I'm always interested in good stories about Biblical characters. It always challenges me to dig into scripture to discern fact from fiction! I have not yet gotten to the third and final book, "The Strength of His Hand".

I'm almost done with Tim LaHaye's "Edge of Darkness". More of a thriller along the lines of the Left Behind series, this book (also part of a series) is very good and thought provoking, but I think my tastes are leaning away from this type of story that used to be my main reads.

"Luke's Story" is also not yet available at the library. I did pick up "Mark's Story", but have yet to start it. Of the three Francine Rivers books, I only got to finish "The Prophet"--really, really good book on the prophet Amos. Very interesting. I think my eyes were bigger than my stomach, so to speak. I just couldn't get them all read in eight weeks. Maybe by the end of Spring I will.

Okay. Readalouds. Of the Lamplighters I listed, we finished "The Lamplighter" which was very good. Probably not the best choice for an 8 year old boy--a bit too mature, and female oriented, but still appropriate. And a bit long for him. We're used to buzzing through our Lamplighters. We are now reading "Legend Led" which is, as usual, fabulous. Our Truthquest books have also been fabulous. The "Johnny Appleseed" Sowers book is one of the best biographies I've ever read. It really touched us!! Same for the Landmark "John James Audubon" book. Just excellent! We got "Away Goes Sally" done early in the challenge and you can read my review of it here.

Lastly, I did "dig" in (pun totally intended!)to the "All New Square Foot Gardening" book again. It's really a worthy read and inspiring! I'm now putting what I've learned into practice--that is if I ever thaw out. So there you have it. Mission accomplished. I wonder if anyone ever reads everything on their list? It was just too good having all those great titles in a list to be read!

Thanks to Trish over at Joyful Heart for hosting the challenge!

No comments: