"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Friday, March 07, 2008

Piled So High, It Almost Touched the Sky!

It was over the top of that basket you see, before requiring intervention. As I mentioned earlier, I've researched ideas thoroughly and laughed and cried till I'm sick with it.

Here's what doesn't work:

  • Doing all the laundry in one day. This hurts my back, wears me out and depresses the tar out of me till it's completely finished. Then it usually sits for days before it's put away. Not a good plan.
  • Doing one person's per day doesn't work. Too many variables--size and color of load.
  • Doing what's needed and sorting into baskets by family member. They never get folded or put away with this method!
Here's what works!:
  • Do one load per day to completion! That means put away too!
I've been doing this a week now and have discovered side benefits. Don't you just love side benefits!! This is actually how it's worked:
  • I have my sorters in the laundry room and everything is brought in over the weekend and sorted.
  • Each day I start a load after daughter goes to bed.
  • When son goes to bed an hour later, I move it to the dryer.
  • The dryer is already full from the day before. I take THAT load and fold and sort.
  • I put away husbands, and my own.
  • I stack each child's and the next day they are required to put it away.
Time? Hardly any! I love it. Daughter has really gotten in to this, too. She seems to look forward to her "stack"! For son, he's not overwhelmed with a huge load all his, so it's gone quickly and there have been no complaints!

By doing things this way, I finally have a sense of accomplishment with laundry! It's not perfect, but it's regular completion. No body is running out of anything (so far). I used to do about ten or so loads per week. That's more than one per day. For some reason, I'm not having that much! I think I was actually going closer to two weeks before attacking it--thus the tall pile! Oh. I also have available laundry baskets now, instead of them being full and stuffed into the laundry room. So where you see the pile above, is now two baskets--one for lights and one for darks. They are not overflowing before it's time to carry them in. Do you know how hard it was to carry THAT pile to the laundry room? Grrrrr!! My laundry room is neat and orderly and usable!

Husband said to me this very morning--and with a smile on his face, "I'm not even close to running out of laundry. I don't have to looking for socks! This is working great! Keep it up!" I was encouraged.

So this is my laundry victory! Next step? Homemade laundry soap. I have the ingredients and am waiting till I use up my current stash.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that having a sorter for my hubby and I really helps. We have one that is three in one, so we can sort our clothes as we take them off!

Thanks for visiting my party! you're right, the answer was Brad Pitt :)

Christy

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I like doing the laundry over a couple of nights. I stay up late folding it all while watching a movie.

Netherfieldmom said...

Just wanted to tell you that I have had victory all week over emptying laundry baskets as soon as they are loaded--and guess what--now I have too many baskets! LOL! They are stacked in front of the washer. I must've kept buying baskets because I didn't empty them enough--gag! Thanks for the encouragement

Stacey said...

do a victory dance!
I do one light and one dark load a day , but have my kiddos fold too! It's part of the daily schedule, and we all get in my room to fold, even the 3 year old! She does the baby's burp cloths and small towels. (She's mighty proud of herself, too!) Doing it all together takes the "choriness" out of it for all of us!