"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Welcome! It's a Bloggy Party!


Ultimate Blog Party 2008

It's truly a great week over at 5 Minutes for Mom where it's time for the annual Ultimate Blog Party. As a first time participant, I want to take this opportunity to thank all my bloggy readers and commenters--all five of you! Heehee! Truthfully, I've been blessed and honored that you might share a little interest in the chaos and mayhem that surround my little bitty bloggy life. (I'm really just trying to see how many times I can use the word "bloggy" in one post! :))

To introduce myself for you new visitors and friends, my name is Melissa and I'm homeschooling and taking care of my family in a very cold, not quite spring but almost, Indiana. We've been on the homeschooling journey since the first born son (now 8) was in the womb. I also have a daughter that is now 4 and loving learning. Husband was actually the catalyst for my interest in homeschooling as I was previously career driven by my family's business. Thank you, Lord, that you know better than me! We are in this for the looong haul. The big question I'm always asked? "How far will you go with THIS?" My answer: "Alllll the way!"

The Lord has blessed us as we've learned, challenged us to grow, and stumped us with some big questions but He is ever present and for this we are grateful. I've been a believer since childhood; growing up in the church and I even served on the staff of Campus Crusade for Christ a million years ago (except that I don't believe in millions of years! How 'bout "thousands!")

Our days are someone ordered--getting better all the time. I find routine is key. We always start our day with prayer and singing. We are hymn lovers at heart. Just one of the areas that the Lord has used to speak to us. We teach all kinds of subjects, with all kinds of curriculums, but with them all we focus on the Biblical Principle Approach methodology. This keeps us and all that we learn grounded in God's Word--after all, that is the one source that we can not argue with!

I've spent the last year learning about treating my family with a more natural God-prepared approach. We haven't had much success with over the counter meds, chemical cleaners, or prepared foods in keeping us healthy, so why not see if natural works better. To my utter amazement, so far it has! It's a fun, confusing, trial and error kind of thing, but we're sticking to our guns. I'll always share our successes and our failures too. I'm like that.

In the past year I've also reclaimed my Grandma's roots and begun enjoying a few of my more creative inclinations: baking bread, crocheting, playing music. I have a list that I'm working on including sewing, needlework, more music! I'm getting there. Just wish I had more time, like we all do.

We are book lovers to the MAX! Can't get enough and only settle for the best. I'm a picky Bibliophile! After all, it's either "living" or it's "dead". Case in point..."Disney" is not an author! Eeek! I frequent book sales and collect out of print books (the cheap ones!). I've got one avid reader already and another learning her phonograms! It won't be long.

The husband is my constant support and encouragement. He runs his own business, so is somewhat flexible to sign on for things like duty with the youngest when oldest has a field trip baby can't attend. He is a fabulous spiritual leader for our family and a fabulous dad to boot. Nothing about the children scares him--fearless. Well, there is that little matter about four year old girl hormones, but he's adapting! :) He does, however, think this whole "bloggy" thing is nuts. Such a man! Just can't get a clue about SOME things!

I try to blog daily, but that doesn't always happen. You know...life?! Sometimes, shamefully and with a bit of embarrassment, I'll blog 5 or 6 posts in a day--like today--but that's NOT usual! I'll blog about whatever I want to remember, share or think about. I'll share someone else's brilliance when I feel it's just too brilliant to keep to myself, and I'll even blog about the weather. Have I mentioned I don't like dark, dreary weather?! I find blogging a bit therapeutic, a bit challenging, sometimes hard as a crutch and sometimes the icing on my cake! How's that for covering my bases?!

Well...I hope you like my little home in "bloggy" land that reflects a bit of our day to day. I've enjoyed all of you that I've "met" and hope to know more of you! Feel free to comment to your hearts content--I love that!--and email me if you want to gab more. A new friend recently wrote me that sometimes emailing back and forth with a new friend that you share something in common with, is like having a cup of tea with them (right Beth?!). I really like that. So consider this your permanent invitation.

I'll leave you with one more bit of my inspiration:



Be sure to step in over at 5 Minutes for Mom and join in the party fun and meet more moms.

18 comments:

KarenW said...

I love your title and the meaning! Hop on over to my party when you can.

Anonymous said...

I just love your blog... the picture at the end of your post is so beautiful. I don't like dreary days either (we had one today here in MD).
Hope you have a wonderful BP, it was great reading more about you...

Tracy said...

Nice Blog! Love the meaning of the trees! Do you mind if I copy it on to the bottom of my Blog on my testimony page? I will wait for you premission! Thanks- Tracy

http://aworkoftheheart.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa~
Can I tell you it just warms my heart when I see my name on your blog! :) We'll have to have tea again soon!
Take care ~
Beth

Melissa said...

Love your introduction and the meaning of your blog title. I'm adding your blog to my Favorites list!

EEEEMommy said...

That's a great picture! So them! :)

Anonymous said...

I love hymns! Thank you for posting a Hymn of the Month in your side bar!

I'm inviting you to party with me!

Win some chocolate from my-sister-in-law and I...we blog about CHOCOLATE...me from Australia...and her from Michigan. Here's the link: http://thechocolistas.blogspot.com/2008/03/ultimate-blog-party-2008.html

What am I doing in Australia? I married an Aussie...and moved to Brisbane, leaving my family and friends and all the right-side-of-the-road drivers in America.

Win a handmade pocket place mat from my blog Comfort Joy Designs. Here's the link:
http://comfortjoydesigns.blogspot.com/2008/03/ultimate-blog-party-2008.html

Want to know more about life in Australia? Visit my A Cup of Joy site where I keep up with my family and friends in America. Here's the link:
http://acupofjoy.wordpress.com/

Happy Partying!

Kim said...

Adorable children! God is good!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Melissa~ said...

Wow, I just love your blog so much. You know when you read something someone has written and your heart just leaps with agreement & joy? Mine did that when I was reading your blog. I'm adding you to my bloglines so I don't miss anything!

Thanks so much for having us at your party! I brought you a little hostess gift!

Melissa~ (too!)
Pink Paper Peppermints

Suz said...

Beautiful pics. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Welcome to the Bloggy Party from one MELISSA to another! It is so great to meet you and I have enjoyed coming over to visit.

Stop by Mel's World when you have some time to visit.

Take Care,
Melissa

Melanie said...

So glad I stopped by to meet you! You have beautiful children.

Enjoy the party!

Anonymous said...

I loved your bloggy party post! Great photo of your kids. :) I subscribed, so will be back for more. :)

Love the name of your blog and the reason. :)

Melissa said...

What beautiful children you have! I used to home school, too, but I'm no longer in it for the long haul (and the world is a better place now because my eyes no longer bulge out of my head as my brain tries to explode!). It's all good, though and everyone is happy!

I'm going to have to check out some of the books on your reading list! I'm an avid Christian fiction reader myself when I can tear myself away from the computer. Blessings!

Toby Parsons said...

I love, love, love your blog!!! I subscribed for blog post delivery to my email! :) I do believe I will add you to my blog roll as well,if that is alright with you. :)

We don't watch t.v. either. :)

I am offering prize # 150 on the prize list of giveaways for the party. You 'may' be interested in this one!

Please stop by my party when you have a chance! :)

Laura said...

Cute kids. Was fun finding you on the blog party! :)

Anonymous said...

You left such kind words on my blog. Thank you! I would like to be friends. I was inspired just looking at your sidebars!!!

I read your party post. Such cute kids! I will definitely be back.

Thanks for visiting me, please come again!

Laura of Harvest Lane
Eagerly anticipating Spring in Mo

Anonymous said...

Great to meet you, I'm a homeschooler too so it was fun to stumble on your blog and see a fellow hser. We love books here too, probably too much, well there can't be a too much-can you?

Angela