"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Breakfast Recipes!

I've been asked for a couple of Menu Plan Monday recipes. We are continuing to make healthier choices, including not buying processed foods. The money we save on that, we are using for better ingredients which are more nourishing and go farther. We are discovering that by eating healthier and heartier, we have less need to snack!

First, I had to include the Walnut Waffles, which are so luscious and good for you. We had them this morning and I've made a note to self to mix the dry ingredients together the night before. Though not really time consuming, having that and everything put away, will definitely save time in the a.m.

1 1/2c whole wheat flour (or 1 c all-purp + 1/2c ww)
1 1/2 t baking powder (I like the non-aluminum kind)
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t (sea) salt
2 T brown sugar Suganat (optional)
2 c buttermilk (I use powdered which requires 8T + 2 c water--this keeps me from constantly throwing away buttermilk!)
1/4 c coconut oil (or canola, but coconut is better for you!)
3/4 c finely chopped walnuts (heart healthy!)
1/2 c raisins (optional--I did not use)

Mix dry, then wet. Don't over mix. Stir in walnuts last.

I use a big waffle iron w/4 squares. It made about 12-14 squares. The husband left early, so we had plenty of leftovers which I layered with wax paper in a plastic 1/2 gallon bag (sucked out all the air with a straw) and froze for next week! Yeah! I used a 1/4 c to pour it so that I wouldn't over flow (which I did when I used the 1/2 c! :)) Be sure to spray your iron w/oil before cooking.

Next, Grahamcake Pancakes. I have not yet made these, but will add my thoughts when I have!

3/4 c (whole wheat) flour
3/4 c graham cracker crumbs (I'm intending to use graham flour, which Hodgson Mill makes and is available at Kroger--cheaper & not processed like the crackers--at least, that's my thoughts before actually trying it :)!)
1 T baking powder (non-alum)
1/4 t (sea) salt
1 c milk (for thinner pancakes add another 1/2 c)
2 T melted butter
1 egg
1/2 c chopped pecans (optional; add last)

Combine dry ingredients in lg. bowl. Combine wet in sm. bowl. Pour wet into dry. Mix well for thick batter. Cook on hot griddle over med-high heat.

Lastly, Skillet Granola
This recipe excites me for some reason; probably because it's fast! I also haven't made it yet, but we make other granola all the time. Granola is so flexible as to what you can add and subtract. I may try adding a bit of vanilla to this one. It's a small recipe which begs to be experimented with! Heehee!

In a lg nonstick skillet over med. heat, melt 2 T butter.
Add 2T honey,
2T sesame seeds &
2T unsalted sunflower seeds

Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
Add 1 c Quick Oats and 3T chopped walnuts.
Toss and turn w/ a couple of wooden spoons for about 5 minutes.
Spread on waxed paper to cool.
Serve warm or cold.
Store in covered container.

I confess, the Vanilla/Almond Oatmeal (which I was asked about) is boxed and is the last of our "processed" breakfast cereals. It is "Simple Harvest" brand and the kids do like it and it is healthier than most! Expensive though.

I'd love to hear from anyone who tries these recipes, so keep in touch!

3 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

I'll have to try some of these.
My kids like the Kroger brand Organic instant oatmeal (Maple/Brown sugar). It's in the regular cereal aisle, not the organic/natural section. It works for the harried mornings.

Regarding the Chinese event. I'm not sure how much it was advertised, and how open to the community at large it was. It seemed like a closed event. My mom had 2 tickets, and we didn't think we'd have trouble getting three more. The website didn't have info about purchasing or even costs, but we didn't think it could be sold out. So we drove all the way to Carmel only to find out that they weren't selling tickets at the door. Oops! Fortunately they worked with us, and we got tickets that were dropped off by people who couldn't attend, and they didn't even make us pay for them (sweet!), but we did feel like we'd crashed the party. (blush) We were seriously the only ones there who were not Chinese, or had not adopted from China. Who knew?

Anonymous said...

The granola sounds good. I have made a similar recipe in the oven, but the skillet sounds easier.
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

ooo...thanks for posting these, i was going to ask also