"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Our Complete Week: 1/27/08-2/2/08

Many eons ago, I began a series of posts entitles "Our Complete "[Month]". I loved recording all the highlights from our month, but after awhile, I found it too hard to remember everything that I wasn't diligently recording. Slacker! Lately, I've re-discovered my passion for recording our homeschool journey and have been posting a weekly update. As I began to think about this past week, I realized I needed to #1..put the dates in my post so I could better track them, and #2, re-claim the 'ole "Complete" title which I always liked!

From the original "Complete" post, I wrote:
According to Webster's 1828 dictionary...
COMPLETE, a.

1. Having no deficiency; perfect. And ye are complete in Him who is the head of all principality and power. Col. 2.
2. Finished; ended; concluded; as, the edifice is complete. This course of vanity almost complete. In strict propriety, this word admits of no comparison; for that which is complete, cannot be more or less so.
COMPLETE, v.t.
1. To finish; to end; to perfect; as, to complete a bridge, or an edifice; to complete an education.
2. To fill to accomplish; as, to complete hopes or desires.
3. To fulfil; to accomplish; to perform; as, the prophecy of Daniel is completed.

So much is communicated in one word! We rarely think of the words we use--we just USE them, but this truly struck me!

Of course, our weeks are never truly "complete" in that we are never perfect, nor is our education finished, but they may be "complete" for such a time as this--for this "season". And that is what I strive for as I focus on the Lord, recount the day and all that He has "completed".

So our complete week included:
Starting the week in bed with the stomach flu. God had mercy on me yet again, and no other family members came down with the dreaded nasties. Since my normal planning and meditation day was "taken", I had to use Monday for it. Son did some of his "on your own" work, but we really didn't get much done in the way of learning.

Tuesday, we were back in the saddle and we began our regular, all-new, thoroughly updated, can't mess this one up even if I tried (I love pushing the limits!), schedule. So far, so good. The main point for the new schedule (for our lesson time) was to see daughter's learning time on paper and how it would match up with son's. I think I'm coming closer to figuring out the two student thing, but MAN is it more difficult than I thought. I really don't know how all you big-family moms do it. Two MAY be the end of me!

Learning-wise, daughter and I rowed (FIAR) "Another Celebrated Dancing Bear". Not really my favorite of the selections so far. The main character issue was supposed to be jealousy, but it also included whining, and feeling sorry for yourself. Who likes to read a story full of those things everyday?! But we did (dutiful little FIARers!). The book did have redeeming qualities of friendship and hospitality. Believe me, there was plenty to learn--just not pleasantly! There were so many character issues, we didn't do much with the Russian geography. Daughter is totally enthralled with the idea of the circus though, which is amazing considering it's not really about the circus; only mentions it. Being the fabulous homeschool mom that I am (harhar--try not to laugh too loud!), I did look up the Ringling Brothers, Barnum and Baily Circus to see when it would next be near us. It'll be here on her birthday! So there you go!

I wrote earlier this week about the wonderful lessons we experienced with our Joshua Bible lesson. We ended the week comparing Joshua to Jesus--as in Joshua was a shadow of Jesus to come. Now this is what I'm talking about (from Chuck Missler and Koinonia House--thanks Missy!)--

It is interesting to notice the parallels in design between the Book of Joshua in the Old Testament and the Book of Revelation. Joshua's name is in Hebrew; in Greek it could be rendered "Jesus." Joshua's mission is to dispossess the usurpers from the Land on behalf of God's people; in Revelation, Jesus' mission is to dispossess the Planet Earth of the usurpers. Joshua initially sends ahead two witnesses. (We call them spies, but all they accomplished was getting a Gentile woman saved.) The two witnesses of Revelation Chapter 11 are a prominent element. Also we observe that in the initial attack on the Amorite capital of Jericho in the book of Joshua every rule of the Torah was violated: the Levites were exempt from military duties, yet they lead the procession. They were to do no work on Sabbath Day, yet here they march around Jericho once a day for six days, and then seven times on the seventh day! They are to keep silent until the final trumpet blast, etc. It is interesting that the Seven Trumpets in Revelation are introduced after a strange silence. It seems that in Revelation we have the final "Joshua," dispossessing the Planet Earth of its usurpers on behalf of God's people in a manner that is remarkably parallel.

Have I mentioned how much I love our Judah Bible Lessons. I guess technically, it's just God's Word that I love! Judah Bible Curriculum is just the outline we use. God provides us the "lessons"!! Thank you, Lord!

Most of the other topics we covered this week are sort of a blur. Because of the shortened week that only got shorter when we finished a bunch of our work on Thursday (and DIDN'T get a snow day on Friday), I'm kinda surprised to find myself at Saturday!

Unfortunately, my week ended with my glasses falling off, me stepping on them and breaking them while bending over to wipe my child's rear! That's always pleasant. Love spending hard earned money on my sight though. (Oh, brother!)

God blessed me this week with visits with several friends--the last visit being today. That does make the days a little sunnier in this very gloomy February! God also gave me the strength to get my bread baked, organize and re-do our school room and follow my menu plan. Whew!

Now! On to next week!

2 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

Ugh! I'm sorry about the glasses, but I couldn't help but smile at how they got broken. :) a mommy's life

I'm proud of you for pushing through and doing what you did despite starting off the week behind and being sick. My own tendency would have been to cancel everything and try again next Monday. Well done!

Belinda Letchford said...

I am so enjoying your blog again. Since I started my website I haven't been very consistent with recording our days either and yet I do enjoy that side of blogging. So it is back to it for me too!

Have a great day!
Belinda
from Lifestyle Homeschool
and who blogs at Belinda's Notes