"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Poetry as a Literary Device


Since we've been enjoying poetry with our Poem-A-Day readings, we've become very attracted to all things poetic. Recently, we finished several books that included poems as part of the stories. We've been charmed by this use of poetry in story telling.

In "Away Goes Sally" (more to come on this book), author Elizabeth Coatsworth includes a poem at the end of each chapter. There is a little something in each one that conncects to the story.

"When all the other leaves are gone
The brown oak leaves still linger on,
Their branches obstinately lifted
To frozen wind and snow deep-drifted.
But when the winter is well passed
The brown oak leaves drop down at last,
To let the little buds appear
No larger than a mouse's ear."

Another favorite is "Mr. Pipes Comes to America". Here, author Douglas Bond uses common and little known hymn lyrics to totally bring you to worship.

"O Father, deign these walls to bless;
Fill with Thy love their emptiness;
And let their door a gateway be
To lead us from ourselves to Thee."
--John Greenleaf Whittier

Mr. Bond also uses his immense knowledge of ancient hymns in his "Crown and Covenant" Series.

"The mighty Lord is on my side,
I will not be afraid;
For anything that man can do
I shall not be dismayed.
Thou art my God, I'll thee exalt;
My God I will thee praise.
Give thanks to God, for he is good;
His mercy lasts always."

Lastly, in our most recently completed Lamplighter, Norman MacLeod, in "The Golden Thread" treats us to "verses" that delight:

"In the darkest night, my child,
Canst thou see the Right, my child?
Forward then! God is near!
The Right will be light to thee,
Armour and might to thee;
Forward! And never fear!"

I think that it's only through adding poetry to our lives daily that we've become more attune to noticing these things in our regular reading. The kids are enjoying calling out "that's a poem!" It always brings a smile to our faces. :) Eventually, we'll try our hand at penning our own. One step at a time!

2 comments:

EEEEMommy said...

The best way to begin penning your own is to follow the model of one of your favorites. Begin by removing several key words and have the kids replace them. You could start with nouns and then move on to verbs and then adjectives and then have them attempt to come up with the whole thing from scratch themselves. What a great language arts exercise! I should do this myself!(At least it sounds great at almost 2am). :)

Did I mention that I'm lonely and I miss you already?

Lisa @Me and My House said...

yeah, I haven't got my boys writing poems yet either (or my 7yod). (16yod writes all the time.) But we sure enjoy the ones we read every week, and LOVE Mr. Pipes (weekly) - and Crown and Covenant series too. In fact, we are on a few generations to the Faith and Freedom series (evening family reading) with Duncan's son as the grandfather.

We too are taking one step at a time. We are working on reciting poems - speaking comes before writing. :-)

Lisa @ Me & My House
http://frommeandmyhouse.com