"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Hidden Savings

After my post on True Frugality, I was thinking about our recent decision to banish boxed cereal from our home. It began with the whole white sugar/white flour purge (to help build immune system and naturally protect against things like the flu), which led to the choice of more natural, healthier, and way more expensive brands, which ended with a processed food ban.

So not only did we quit buying, and thus eating, said boxed cereals, but we replaced them with lots of yummy, wholesome meals (which we are eating together and since they take longer, are having more quality time in the a.m.). I knew we would be saving approximately $180 a month because the cereal at an average of $4 a box--with about a box a day, was probably that and more.

What I had forgotten to include in the equation was the fact that it cut the kids milk intake in HALF! That's 3 gallons of milk a week at $6/gallon (organic). So, $18x52 weeks/12 months=$78 a month! For a grand whopping total of $258.

Do you know how much $258 a month can save? When paid on our debt, we'd save even more moolah not paying interest, which gets us out of debt quicker AND is less time the husband has to work to pay it! More time at home=happier and healthier family!

As far as what we're eating instead, it's meals that are mere pennies compared to the big whopping dollars! True frugality.

All because of a boxed cereal ban!

5 comments:

Dana said...

I know that photo did not come from your house because there's a CAT in it!

>^..^<

Dana (the cat lover)

Netherfieldmom said...

You know you can freeze quiche, all mixed together, with a box pie crust (if you want) and then just take it out the night before, pour it into the crust and bake in the a.m. I mix the eggs, milk, cheese, bacon bits, and whatever veggies and freeze in a gallon ziploc. It's also great to give away to someone who needs a meal, or bake it for them and they think you've gone to such trouble! ;) We have our own hens, so we usually need a place to "get rid" of eggs. You've motivated me to make some granola--we love the homemade stuff too!

Dana said...

I've been thinking about this, and I don't think I've ever paid $4/box of cereal in my life! And how in the world did you eat a whole box of it a day?

I have one word: Oatmeal. It's inexpensive, not pre-sweetened, and good for you. I'm sure you can find organic oatmeal, although I've never looked.

Dana

Dana said...

Ok, back to the cereal thing!
My mom now reads your blog and she pointed out that $4/box at 30 days in each month is $120, not $180.

If you add $120 for the cereal/month to $78 for the milk, you get $198/month.

You also have to figure in what you're feeding your family now. The only way the $198 total savings is accurate is if you quit eating breakfast. Let's say that you can feed your family for $.50/breakfast plus the milk. That's $2/day for the 4 of you which totals $60/month.

$60 added to the $78 is $138 for breakfasts for the month.

$198 that you were paying minus the $130 that you're paying now (as a conservative estimate) leaves you with a savings of $68/month.

$68 savings is nothing to sneeze at.

Melissa said...

I'll give you the $60 which I missed (dur!), but as for the rest? no. We are no longer drinking ANY milk for breakfast nor pouring it on the cereal..thus the $78 savings. Now our breakfasts are fresh fruit, which we were already buying and consuming--thus a wash--and things I'm baking using whole wheat flours for pennies, rather than dollars! I'll stick with my original figure minus the $60 flub! Thanks for playing :)