"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Monday, February 18, 2008

Menu Plan Monday: Feb. 18-24


I just have to say that undertaking this little (read: huge!) meal planning venture (as in Menu Plan Monday) is most aggravating when said "Monday" comes around so quickly and there is little chance you've finished off the meals from the previous week. Whew! I just had to get that out!

I just purged my fridge and threw away way too much! Since beginning to cook more, we are a bit over-run with leftovers and the 'ole eyes are often bigger than the stomach. Those beautiful pictures in the cookbooks are quite luring sometimes. Note to self: Curb the meal size.

Oh! The best news about this Menu Plan Monday thing (besides the fact that we are eating so much better) is that husband totally understands the "must shop on Monday" to the point that since I now have my own vehicle, he's OFFERED to keep the kids at his office while I shop. *sob, sob* :) What a HUGE blessing! He sooooo made my day--well, that and little girl crawling in bed to snuggle this morning...oh, and sweetest boy sneaking in to kiss my cheek while I was praying.

So, here 'tis. I'm going to start marking new items and I'm going to include at least one recipe for you too.

Breakfast:
Monday-Vanilla Almond Oatmeal, clementines
Tuesday-French Toast, bananas
Wednesday-Scrambled eggs, sausage, sliced pear
Thursday-Cinn/Nutmeg French Toast, bananas
Friday-Baked Steel-Cut Oatmeal, turkey bacon, oranges
Saturday-Grahmcake Pancakes, sausage, bananas *new*
Sunday-Skillet Granola, yogurt, sliced apples *new*

Lunch:
Monday-L/O Pizza & veggies, applesauce
Tuesday-Raman Noodles w/Egg & Peas, Pears
Wednesday-Sunflower Seed Butter & Jelly, Carrots, Apples
Thursday-L/O BBQ Pork Sandwiches, corn & fresh fruit salad
Friday-Spicy Cheese Quesadillas, carrots, applesauce
Saturday-L/O
Sunday-[Church Potluck: Greek theme--Greek salad & feta and basil cheese spread *new*

Dinner:
Monday-Chili, cornbread & pears
Tuesday-BBQ Pork Roast, salad, & plums
Wednesday-Coconut Chicken (see recipe below!), broccoli, & fresh fruit salad
Thursday-Sloppy Turkey Joes, green beans, applesauce
Friday-Rosemary Citrus Pork Chops, salad, & pears
Saturday-Ham & Cheese Omelets, toast, oranges
Sunday-Roast Chicken, mixed vegetables, plums

A favorite recipe I'll use this week is for....

Coconut Chicken.

Mix 1 c sweetened (or unsweetened, if you like) coconut with
1/2 c. flour,
1/2 t. salt,
1/4 t. pepper &
1/4 t. garlic powder
...in a med. bowl.

Dip chicken cut into strips into a lightly beaten egg (w/a little milk added).
Place in a shallow baking pan.
Drizzle with 1/3 c melted butter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or till chicken is browned and cooked through, turning once.

FYI...It doesn't really "brown", but you'll know when it's cooked... and you have to be a bit careful turning it so the coating doesn't fall off. I suggest a bit of butter or spray into the pan before putting the chicken in.

This is so unbelievably yummy, you'll want to make a dbl batch for a snack or lunch. (Rats! Why didn't I think of that this week?!) I *think* this originally came from Rachel Ray.

For more great Menu Plan Mondays, or to participate, go here!

2 comments:

Sonshine said...

everything sounds yummy!

as for all the leftovers...think about having a "smorgasbord"/buffet for a dinner. Just set some rules about making sure that everyone gets something out of each food group on their plate. :) If that doesn't work then stick it in the freezer for down the road when you don't feel like cooking!

It is nice that your hubby watched the kids so that you could go shopping and actually be able to think when you shop! :)

Enjoy your week!

Christy Lee said...

Ok, I'm still a relatively new cook, so I was wondering about a few of your breakfast recipes or how you make them, if they're storebought, etc....Vanilla Almond Oatmeal, Grahmcake Pancakes and Skillet Granola. If they are recipes, would you mind sharing??? Thank you so much...the rest of your menu looks great!