"He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken. Ps62:2

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Just Thinking: How I Decide To Add Something To Our Week

I am very analytical by my God-made nature. I must start with the details of a problem and work up to the solution--piece by piece. The smaller the pieces to start with, the easier the going. Often the process is not a thrill, nor is it automatic. What goes on in my head can't always come out on paper. This is one reason I love lists, but apart from making them and collecting them, I don't "use" them. I really spend a lot of time thinking things through. And processing. I'm processing now.

It has been often a source of frustration to see and hear, and be so passionate about so many things "homeschooling". Good ideas and wonderful opportunities really are a dime a dozen, but can I do them all? Some say they will not allow themselves to be pulled into that. They feel it is a trap that is too discouraging. That may be so, to a point.

I suppose in my own head, I look at these things different. The first thing that happens when I hear an idea is an emotional reaction. Either I love it, or hate it. Next, I decide if that is something I would want to do with my children. After that it's, "can I do this with my children?" And then, of course it's, "shall I do this with my children?"

My most recent "process" of the brain has me asking new questions: "Did God put this opportunity here for us?" or, more thought provokingly, "Does this agree with our Biblical teaching philosophy and our desire to seek God's will in our lives and learning?" I'm also asking myself if it's a once in a life-time chance--a "season" that I will not be able to get back. If there is no negative, or objection, I find myself asking if the opportunity is "foundational", a "building block", or "experiential".

A foundational opportunity might be teaching phonograms. You can't very well move on in "life" without it. A building block would be grammar. It's great to be a fabulous writer with all your punctuation right, but in the grand scheme of things will it make or break you--or more importantly, will it affect who you are in Christ? While learning to read would (you couldn't read His word on your own), the grammar would not necessarily.

The last thing is experiential. Many things come along in homeschooling that fall under this category. That's one of the reasons we do it, correct? We can give our kids so many experiences in learning that ps kids don't get--that WE never got. Here's the rub, however.

I've got this great opportunity. I'll use nature study as an example. I'm attracted to the idea like bees on honey! There are lots of reasons to like it.

It shows us God's design, His creation, His very nature.
It epitomizes health and happiness.
There is nothing "bad" about it.
"I" never got to do it.
The artistic elements are appealing
It's a God-thing, not a world-thing.
But then there's the arguments:
I haven't an idea how to do it, or wouldn't be good at it.
I don't have time, or I can't do it all.
I'd have to give something else up.
I don't live by a forest and stream with walking trails, or on a farm.
I live in a fenced in suburban yard with no trees, no parks, no nothing.
For me, nature study falls under experiential. Is it important to life? Many would argue no. But for some reason, and I'd like to think it's a "God" reason, I think it might be. Would being outside in God's creation affect my kid's character? Draw them closer to the Lord? Teach them something incredible? All things I ponder. And the biggie, "Do I believe God really provides all that we need to do a task which He has given us to accomplish?" If it's really an opportunity put before us from the Lord, will he not provide the bugs, dirt, plants, paths, weather, TIME, leading, etc.?

And what will I give up? I've prayerfully decided to put aside grammar, for a season of nature study. The experiential is trumping the building block--this time. If you look again at the arguments for and against, you might notice what I noticed when I just wrote them. The arguments against are "I" centered. The arguments for are more "God" centered. Not all, but enough to be obvious to me who wants God and eternal things as a focus. Is nature study an eternal thing? A lot more than basketball, or video games. It's definitely a God thing! He made it, didn't He?!!

There is a season for things. This is the season of childhood. Getting dirty, exploring and adventuring. It's not our season for Grammar. Grammar can wait. Rolling down hills and catching bugs can't. So we're going to give it a try. We won't be perfect or do it like others do. We'll keep it simple and pray and hopefully enjoy it. I'm pretty sure we'll be the better for it.

So there you have it. I was just thinking, and thought I'd share. And now that I'm done processing, we're actually going to DO it! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh you are a serious thinker aren't you. I too have struggled with nature studies. I have friends who live in the pseudo country. Birds and chickens and plants are the focus of their activities and conversations. I say psuedo country because they happen to have a bit of land, but are within 5-10 minutes of Walmart, Safeway, Costco, Target, etc. I jsut can't seem to get into the nature thing, yet somehow I feel like a homeschool failure because I don't. I finally gave up, sort of. I just realized that I may not be into birds, but I craft and with my kids and I have gifts that other moms don't have. So do you. Go for it though, stretch yourself. See where God leads, but do it for him and your kids and not other homeschool families.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I like your analogy of foundation stones and building blocks. We are responsible to give our children the foundation, and teach them how to place the bricks. However, ultimately, they are accountable for how they build their house.

And I am of the opinion that you don't need grammar every year. Not that you need my approval or anything. ;) Enjoy the bees!

Stacey said...

thanks for your insight! I'm an analytical one myself, and I like your "building" analogy.
now that it may be warming up, I'm ready to have "No Mama Left Inside"!